Can you really get things done at the local wifi coffee shop ?? Not half as much will get accomplished. As a matter of fact, you are much better off finding a qiuet , distraction free environment either at home or in your office.
Most online business experts will be frank with you and say they work very hard in a distraction free zone. Some want you to think that you can cruise on down to the local Star Bucks, drink moca whatever lattes and money will start spitting out of your laptop! This isn’t reallity. The real deal is that I and others who run Online Businesses do it the old fashioned way by making a plan in an environment that will stimulate action and results. Simple planning and Time Management is the key!
Some of us work better in the early morning and some at the other end of the day when everybody else in sleeping. You need to find your sweet spot and utilize the time to your advantage. Here’s a sample template that I try to follow most days.
- 4:30 am Check email, quick blog post for my site or clients. Get your plan laid out for the day
- 5:30 am Exercise – whatever you like (I play ice hockey a few day a week and go to the gym the other days)
- 7:30 am Focus on Plan (website development or customer service) Work on Projects with deadline priority
- 9:30 am Write articles, blog posts on your niche, expertise or hobby and post them. Work on any social media sites and update them accordingly.
- 11:30 am Take a walk or do some form of exercise for 1/2 hour …. basically get up stretch and get moving for a bit and eat lunch or have a snack
- 12:30 pm Product Creation Focus / Write Focus
- 2:00 pm Phone calls / Meetings / Client Follow up
- 4:00 pm Get up and out again for 1/2 hour quick stretch or walk … get away from the computer if possible
- 4:30 pm Business paper work / Bills / Admin stuff
- 5:30 pm Make your plan check list for the next day and tweak things as needed
I find the key for me is to make sure I take those 1/2 hour walk breaks and keep up my excercise routine. Do things you like, don’t make it misery. Find someone to play raquet ball, find a pick up basketball game, Jog, play hockey, whatever it is just do it. The exercise will keep you energized for your work.